Monday, June 7, 2010

Run bitch Run!

I have been gaining and losing weight since I started having babies almost 11 years ago. That makes me sound old, but really I'm just a baby at the ripe age of 30. My oldest child is 10 years old (going on 20), the second 4 and our littlest bug is almost 2 years old. A brief rundown of my weight struggles.

1998 - Left school and started working, gained 10lbs and kept it on until I got pregnant
1999 - Pregnant, gained 65lbs eating poorly and being lazy.
2000 - Joined Weight Watchers for the first time of many and lost a fair bit of weight.
2001 - Met the love of my life and continued losing. The lowest I saw on the scale was 148 and I joke it was for only a few seconds. Maintained in the 150's for several years until we moved into our home.
2003 - Moved into our first home and I was just in the last few weeks of doing Body For Life. I had some killer results but back then it wasn't enough. I had lost 4lbs and 4 inches all over in 8 weeks. I didn't think that was good enough and quit in week 9, I still kick myself over that one. If I find the photos I will dig them out and post them here.
2005 - Almost married and gained 15lbs after spending everyday in the gym for several hours a day. Sabotaged myself and so upset that I did this right before our big day. I miscarried two weeks before our wedding and ate my way through the pain. One month later I was pregnant and sick as a dog.
2006 - Bedrest with the pregnancy and in a lot of pain. The worst pregnancy I have ever had, but it was worth it. In the end I gained over 75lbs on my little 5'1 frame. I topped out at 246lbs.

In the fall I rejoined weight watchers weighing 216lbs. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. I couldn't believe I had let myself get that bad. The sad part is, after our second child was born, I actually dipped below 200lbs within a couple of weeks but I had eaten like crazy with the stress of a newborn and dealing with emotions has always been my weak point, why get help when you can eat right? *sigh*

I was able to get down into the 170's by the following winter. I had joined and rejoined Weight Watchers so many times that I finally quit. I had enough of the weekly weigh ins and the push to eat as much processed crap as you could for little points. The whole program was decent for someone who could truly control their portions and eat real food, but I felt it steered the whole mindset into, "How much crap can I eat for 22 points a day?!"

I had asked my husband for the gift of a personal trainer for Christmas. This was going to be the year that I did it. I was turning 29, no way would I enter my 30's obese. My husband bought me 10 personal training sessions with B and B had trained me when I looked my best before. I was thrilled.

On New Years Eve, I woke up from a dream where I was walking out of my then storefront, with a little blonde haired boy. I had one of those pregnancy shirts on that said "What's Kickin'" and the boy was so cute holding my hand. When I went over the dates in my head I thought, "Hmm, maybe I'll just get a test and make sure I'm not pregnant." Several hours later, positive test in hand I broke the news to my husband on our way to our favorite sushi restaurant. He thought it was a joke, and I think he was totally freaked out. The timing was not ideal but soon we were thrilled and I was determined to have a healthy pregnancy after the last ordeal. Being already 170+ pounds, I wanted to make sure I didn't go crazy with the food.

A couple of weeks later at work, in walked B. She plunked her day planner on the counter and said, "Alright when are you coming to see me?!" I laughed and said,"I'm pregnant silly, I am going to save these until after I have the baby." She laughed at me and explained there was no better time than now to start. I begrudgingly agreed and we started meeting three times a week every week from then on. I gained a healthy amount of weight for the pregnancy and I think my last workout was about 2 weeks before my due date! All low impact but I truly felt it made such a huge difference in everything about that pregnancy and delivery.

After our little guy was born, six weeks later I walked back into weight watchers and into the studio to workout again. It seemed so hard but I knew the benefits would pay off. Because of my old mindset with weight watchers, I started eating the same old crap. Processed diet foods, fat free, etc.. etc.. For five very long months I didn't lose a single pound.

When the plateau finally broke, I had quit weight watchers and most processed foods. The difference was astonishing. I felt so much better, I was sleeping better and eating much healthier. I'm not perfect and never pretend to be. I indulge a lot and that's why you'll see my weight isn't something that comes off quickly, but I'm consistant!

I got back down to 170lbs before some surgery I was to have. Before I was fully recovered I received the news that my 69 year old father was in need of a triple bypass. It was my worst nightmare, I'd be expecting it my entire life because of his heart troubles. You see my father looks healthy and is a tiny man but for many years he ate very poorly because he was always on the road for work. The idea of losing my fathers life because of food sent me into a tailspin. I got down to 163lbs very quickly. But being the youngest child of six, I went with them to the hospital and spent over a week in Toronto walking back and forth to the hospital with my Mum and sitting in the hospital room all day and night. The toll the entire ordeal took on me mentally was more than I realized. Of course I turned to food, and by Christmas I was back in the high 170's.

I continued to work out but I kept skippign workouts, I was feeling sick a lot and sore from my surgery. I had started running prior to my surgery and I had loved it, I needed to get back. After a few more months, we started running again and things fell back into place.

Currently I'm running outdoors and LOVING it. My fathers brush with death because of food really motivates me everytime I don't want to exercise. (He ended up having a QUINTuple bypass instead because it was so bad) I'm still fighting to get out of the 170's but I'm much more motivated to keep moving and get this weight off for good. I sold my business, so my only focus is me right now and that should be everyones top priority.

I'll post a little more later on about what I use to help me keep going.



No comments:

Post a Comment